The YWCA Kalamazoo offers several ways for volunteers and employees to support our organization. Whether you have a few hours or a few days, we are grateful for your time.
If you are interested in applying for a volunteer opportunity, please fill out these forms:
- Download a Volunteer/Internship Application (PDF)
- Download a Background Check Authorization (PDF)
- Download a Central Registry Clearance Form (PDF)
- Drop off or mail the completed application, Background Check, Request for Central Registry Clearance, and a copy of your driver’s license OR state ID to the YWCA at 353 E. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo, MI 49007.
The YWCA will contact you once we have received a completed application. Please contact the YWCA Kalamazoo at (269) 345-5595 or email@example.com for further information and questions regarding your application.
Children's Center Volunteer Opportunities
The YWCA Kalamazoo’s Children’s Center offers a variety of volunteer opportunities and internships that allow for direct service experience with children. Training varies based on the position and experience level of the applicant.
Here are some of the opportunities for volunteers in the Children’s Center:
- Classroom Volunteers: This opportunity is available to volunteers interested in early education and working with children ages 6 weeks to pre-K. Volunteers assist YWCA Kalamazoo – Children’s Center Teachers by: being a guest reader, helping with craft projects, showing the kids a special talent or instrument, or helping the teachers lead a learning center activity. Your positive presence can make all the difference!
- Food Prep Volunteers: This opportunity is for volunteers looking to impact the lives of children and who are skilled in the kitchen. Our Children’s Center provides breakfast, lunch, and two snacks for our program participants. Volunteers can assist the Food Service Coordinator with the prep of the meals, as well as creation of fun and nutritious menu items.
- Little Seeds: Art and Story Hour: This opportunity is in partnership with YWCA Kalamazoo – Victim Services. Little Seeds offers meaningful programming to children living within our shelter. Volunteers will read and work on art projects with children while their mother’s are meeting with an advocate. This program requires six volunteer hours each week. We seeking several individuals to help facilitate art and literacy activities with children ranging in age from birth to 17 years.
Victim Services Volunteer Opportunities
The YWCA Kalamazoo’s Victim Services offers a variety of volunteer opportunities and internships around domestic violence and sexual assault. Training varies based on the position and experience level of the applicant.
Here are some of the opportunities for volunteers with Victim Services:
- Internships: Victim Services offers internships for both the Domestic Assault and Sexual Assault Programs. Interns assist with crisis calls, meetings with clients, and event planning. Placement is competitive. Training from the YWCA Kalamazoo is required.
- Sexual Assault Supportive Volunteer: This opportunity is vital to our Sexual Assault Program and our Sexual Assault Nurse Exam (SANE). As a volunteer, you will provide emotional support, information, and referrals to sexual assault survivors, their family, and their friends at the exam site. This role requires confidentiality and someone you can be on-call a minimum of three times a month (between 5:00pm-9:00am on weekdays and 24-hours on the weekends/holidays. Volunteers must be 18 years old and able to be present within 30 minutes of receiving notification for a SANE. Training from the YWCA Kalamazoo is required.
- Shelter Service Aide: This opportunity is for volunteers looking for experience in a Domestic Violence Shelter. Shelter Service Aide’s assist with the front desk duties in the YWCA Kalamazoo Domestic Violence Shelter.
- Human Trafficking Shelter Aide: This opportunity is for volunteers looking for experience in a Human Trafficking Shelter. Shelter Aide’s assist staff with providing support to survivors staying in the shelter.
Women's Initiatives Volunteer Opportunities
The YWCA Kalamazoo’s Women’s Initiatives Department offers a variety of volunteer opportunities and internships around our mission of eliminating racism. Training varies based on the position and experience level of the applicant.
Here are some of the opportunities in Women’s Initiatives:
- Cradle Kalamazoo: Volunteers can help assist with Cradle Kalamazoo events and meetings. For more information, visit the Cradle Kalamazoo website.
- People Who Think: People Who Think is a dialogue series around our mission. Topics for these events include: advocacy, pay inequity, racism, poverty, violence etc. For this program, volunteers would assist with event planning, coordination, and facilitation.
- TechGYRLS: TechGYRLS is a youth empowerment program that encourages young women to pursue their interest in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM). Volunteers would assist with facilitating and creating lesson plans.
- Young Women’s Leadership: Young Women’s Leadership is a mentorship program that encourages young women to meet and have discussions about advocacy. Young Women in this program learn skills to better advocate for themselves. Volunteers would assist with facilitating and creating lesson plans.