Join the YWCA Kalamazoo!
- This event has passed.
Sexual Assault Awareness Month Events
April 1 @ 8:00 am - April 30 @ 5:00 pm
APRIL IS SEXUAL ASSAULT AWARENESS MONTH
April 1 – 30, 2017
- Teal Ribbon Campaign: The teal ribbon has come to represent awareness about sexual assault and support for its victims/survivors. Additionally, the display of teal ribbons throughout a community conveys a powerful message that there’s no place for assault in the homes, neighborhoods, workplaces, or schools of its citizens. Throughout the month, teal ribbons are available at no cost at YWCA Kalamazoo.
- A Cup of Prevention: YWCA Kalamazoo and Water Street Coffee Joint will be launching a sexual assault awareness campaign throughout the month of April. All four Water Street locations will be using promotional SAAM stickers and offering teal ribbons to customers. A percentage of April sales will benefit YWCA’s Sexual Assault Program. Show your support of the YWCA and visit Water Street today!
- The Clothesline Project: This visual display bears witness to the devastating impact of sexual assault. A collection of t-shirts decorated by survivors, friends, family, and the community will be on display at YWCA Kalamazoo and the Vine Neighborhood.
- Consent is Power: YWCA Kalamazoo is teaming up with local bars to promote awareness about sexual assault and the importance of consent. Participating bars will use a hand stamp that says, “Consent is Power,” during the month of April to raise awareness about the importance of mutually agreed upon and enthusiastic consent. Check our Facebook page weekly for participating bars.
April 13, 2017 – 7:00pm-9:00pm
- WMU Take Back the Night: Take Back the Night is an internationally held event designed to raise awareness about sexual assault. This event, hosted by WMU’s FIRE! Sexual Assault Peer Educators, will allow participants to learn about local sexual assault resources, empower survivors to share their stories, march through the WMU campus to raise awareness and speak out.
April 20, 2017 – 6:00pm-8:00pm
- Survivors Speak at the YWCA Kalamazoo’s Dalton Room: Join us to hear poetry and stories featuring local survivors of sexual assault. Participate in an interactive activity. Attendees will receive a commemorative chapbook and refreshments will be provided.
April 26, 2017
- Denim Day: Denim Day has been internationally celebrated since 1999 in protest of an Italian High Court Ruling that overturned a rape conviction because the victim was wearing jeans. Enraged by the verdict, women of the Italian Legislation protested the decision by wearing jeans to work. As news of the decision spread, so did the protest. Wear your jeans to show support! For more information, visit supportdenimday.com
- SAAM March/Vigil from 5:30pm-7:00pm at the YWCA Kalamazoo/Bronson Park: Show your support for victim/survivors of sexual assault by joining us on our march starting at YWCA Kalamazoo and ending with a Candlelight Vigil at Bronson Park where you will hear from community speakers and survivors.